[Return to main site] 

26 micron, Spot-A S-PRO, help needed

Hi All,

I am working through calibrating my recently upgrade Titan for 26 micron printing. I could use some help from the board, even if the help is “you’re crazy, that’s the wrong resin for the job”…

This first set of images represents my first attempt at printing the calibration STL file after calibrating the projected image to 49.8mm wide. The calibration grid is super clear, the machine is level, and the plate was level to the PSP container. I have sliced the file in CW at 0.03mm Z resolution (as that is divisible by the stepper motor’s resolution, and close to the 26 micron XY resolution. The resulting files was 558 slices.

So, for attempt 1, my settings were:

Zone 1 – Layer 1-1 … 10 sec exposure … 7 mm lift … 10 lift speed … 30 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 2 – Layer 2-18 … 5 sec exposure … 7 mm lift … 10 lift speed … 30 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 3 – Layer 19-92 … 3.5 sec exposure … 5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 4 – Layer 93-150 … 2.5 sec exposure … 3.5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 5 – Layer 151-300 … 1.5 sec exposure … 3.5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 6 – Layer 301-558 … 1 sec exposure … 3.5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay

26micron_attempt1

Obviously some major challenges with this print. The good – base and early support layers were nearly perfect. Boolean circles cut into the side half way up the print are perfect. The bad – pretty much everything above that.

I decided to double the exposure time, more or less, for my second run. My settings were:

Zone 1 – Layer 1-1 … 20 sec exposure … 7 mm lift … 10 lift speed … 30 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 2 – Layer 2-18 … 10 sec exposure … 7 mm lift … 10 lift speed … 30 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 3 – Layer 19-92 … 7 sec exposure … 5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 4 – Layer 93-150 … 5 sec exposure … 3.5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 5 – Layer 151-300 … 4 sec exposure … 3.5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay
Zone 6 – Layer 301-558 … 3 sec exposure … 3.5 mm lift … 15 lift speed … 50 down speed … 1 s delay

26micron_attempt2

Still big problems, now with details “bleeding”… this one is confusing to me. Is that over-exposure, or under-exposure? My assumption is that it is over-exposure and that slight vibration in the resin causes the details to cure in a way that is “out of focus” at any given layer.

Any hints on how to tighten all of this up would be greatly appreciated! I am quite pleased with the detail level on the second print, just not the “smudging”.

Cheers.

@pch90265

Please shake the bottle for one minute before pouring into the vat. The yellow pigment is stickier. SPRO should not have much light bleeding, Did you use the normal mode and turn on the mask?

Dear Tech Support,

I did shake the bottle, but probably not for a full minute. I’ll give that a shot.

I did not flag the “shutter” or “mask” options before printing. I cannot turn on the shutter because it is not working (I have another thread open on that, and would appreciate a reply when you have a moment). I will turn on “mask” next run.

Any other comments on the exposure times? I have seen almost zero discussion of 26 micron printing.

Thanks,
PCH

@pch90265

Please check if the focus is sharp. Please also do not turn on the shutter if not necessary.

this may be a late reply but it might help other readers.

Check the focus first as this will have a significant effect on the sharpness of the print.

It looks like you have overexposure, there is too much light and the resin is overcuring outward from its initially exposed region. Decrease the exposure time for each layer and see how the print goes.

May need to use a magnifier when adjusting the focus