[Return to main site] 

B9 Yellow Resin - Casting


#1

Just got a bottle of the new B9 Yellow castable resin in I’m excited to start working with. Has anyone worked with this resin yet on a Titan printer? I’ve heard great reviews on this resin as far as castability is concerned but that it’s slow curing and needs a longer exposure time. If anyone with experience has any baseline exposure times and/or burnout schedules that they’ve used with the B9 Yellow feel free to share. I will do my own follow up after I get to running some prints.


#2

Estoy usando esta resina por ser formidable para fundir (el residuo es inapreciable), pero el tiempo de exposicion es mas largo y como te pases de tiempo salen los calados tapados y las garras mas gruesas, cada pieza que imprimo (de diferente modelaje) la tengo que imprimir varias veces hasta conseguir un resultado aceptable.


#3

B9R-4-Yellow
50xyz
8sec base exposure

First test run using the new B9 castable resin. I have a bit of distortion early in the model in the finer supports I believe was caused to the delay not being long enough to allow the resin to settle. I also lost the rest of the model about 400/537 layers in I believe do to either overcuring of the resin and sticking to the vat floor or possibly the lift speed being too high. I have made some adjustments to my printing parameters and am attempting another print tonight.


#4

Success!!! So after some tweaking and tuning I finally got a really good print with the B9 Yellow resin on the Titan.

I found that it was necessary to have a delay of 3 seconds for the majority of the model; even with 1-1.5sec of delay there was still a significant amount of distortion for about the first 150 layers or until the platform no longer was being submerged in the resin. I was adjusting too many variables simultaneously and after the initial “half ring” I got I was having problems getting the supports to form anywhere after the first 50 layers so I ended up increasing the overall exposure across the board from 8 seconds to 10 just to make sure the support tree in the middle of the ring would be cured enough to help support the weight of the center stone seat as it printed.

With the new exposures and a slightly slower lift speed for the top half of the ring where it transitions between open and solid sections of the accent stone seats along the sides was able to form no problem and the whole print managed to come out intact in about 3 hours. I believe with some more testing I can get this down to 2-2.5hours but am still trying to be fairly conservative during early experimentation.

This is probably the closest I have come to a “perfect” print across any model or resin I have attempted to create on this machine. Sine this model was rendered in a CAD program I was able to pull up all the measurements for various part dimensions and test them against the physical model to compare. Everything came out incredibly close to the exact values on the computer render apart from the very tops of the ring band right below the main stone seat. The design of the band has it taper into almost a knife edge to either the front or back side of the ring, I believe this sharp tapering of the layers in the model, combined with overcuring from lightbleed of the subsequent layers caused this part of the model to shrink. The very last photo attached in the series shows the distortion/shrinkage across the thickness of the ring band. Calipers read a Y dimension of 8.31mm when on the model this measures 9mm exactly. The accent stone seats along the sides of the band however came out the right dimension so it doesnt look like the whole model is distorting but rather just the really sharp/thin edges are pulling in. I may try to isolate this into it’s own zone and expose for 8sec to see if it does not correct for this error.

Still very curious about how this stuff will react in the oven when fired and cast but I’m finally starting to feel a little bit hopeful that this technology might actually be practical and applicable in a real world working environment and able to replace our 4-axis CNC machine we currently use for milling wax models.

*Note: Model shown with foundation supports and center support tree removed



#5

Finally got around to casting! Here is the finished product printed on a Titan2 using B9R-4-Yellow, cast in 18K gold. I went through 2 more variations of the model from the one I originally posted in order to get the dimensions for all the stones accurate. We were able to use a casting procedure very similar to what we use for our traditional lost wax casting with terrific results.


#6

Here is another recent piece I created. This model was a little bit challenging to print at 50mu as it extended outside of the focal area of the projector but with a fairly conservative printing parameter the entire model did print incredibly well. Had either some burnout residue or breakdown in my investment that caused the model to cast with some porosity on the surface. Despite requiring a little bit more cleanup then the other models I have cast the piece still turned out very clean in the end.