[Return to main site] 

BEAN: How thick can it go?

How thick of a layer height can the Bean print at? And why does the kudo3d software only have one 50um profile? Where can I find profiles for other layer heights? Will I need to tweak the material profiles to expose for more time if I make thicker layers? By how much?

Thanks!

Nebarnix

The maximum layer thickness will depend on the resin you use, and the exposure time vs. depth curve will vary depending on the pigmentation used in that resin. Empirically, I’ve found that some resins have a log shaped curve, where there is a steep part initially, where increasing exposure around 50% increases cure depth by about 100%, up to a point where significant increases in cure time no longer increase cure depth. Other resins stay linear without cure depth tapering off.

You will have to experiment to see how your specific resin reacts.

So we’re on our own in terms of deviating from the 50um setting given to us by Kudo3D? How about 35um or 75um profiles?

I would imagine that as a starting point, for small changes that are less than doubling or halving, you could probably go with something like a 25-50% change in exposure time alone.

The tricky part that I found printing at 100 or 250 micron layer height on the Titan 1 is that longer cure times will also result in each layer sticking more firmly to the vat. That means that if you significantly alter the layer thickness, you may find that you need to change the lift settings and potentially lift higher or more slowly. “May” in that the amount of the increased separation force varies depending on the surface area of the part you are printing. I print a lot of large surface area parts with perpendicular orientation and no supports, that generally requires quite a lot of settings tweaking and is impacted a lot by changes to separation force. More traditional orientation to minimize per-layer surface area would be less sensitive to this.