[Return to main site] 

Bean Setup/ Parts design

Last week the Bean finally arrived. I have spend the last three days stumbling across some issues which I could resolve but wanted to share with you the solution, as I think the documentation on how to setup everything is not very complete yet. I am still wondering where the manual could be downloaded for the Bean. The two-pager was not of much help. Lukily I do own a CNC router as well so I could benefit from that setup experience.

My bean came with the Z-axis bed in a separate container. When mounting the Z-axis bed plate to the axis, make sure, if the axis comes down to Z=0 that the bed is actually sitting flat on the Teflon. When I slided my bed all the way in horizontally, this was not the case. Instead, the edge of the bed was laying on the plastic housing of the resin container causing the bed not to be leveled with the LCD/Teflon.
Pulling the bed to the front of the printer by ~1.5mm solved this.

To level the bed flush with the LCD, untighten the four screws on either side of the bed plate, make sure the bed falls downwards when you move the z-Axis up. Navigate the z-Axis to somewhere between 0.05 and 0.150mm and then tighten the four screws.
If you now home again, this will remove potential gaps between the bed and the LCD/Teflon.
My prints do fine with 0.1mm. Note: the Printer does not home before starting actual printing, thus you can adjust the gap/tension by navigating up/down before executing prints.

As for my first part, a 30mm x 30mm cylinder head, this caused me trouble until I realized what I have designed. The part is hollow inside but has reinforcements on the inside, which, when printed, form enclosures between the print plate and the LCD. I did only now realize that these structures need to vent in order to not generate too much vacuum force to stick to the Teflon instead the printing bed plate. The part broke off three times at more or less the same area. Solution was to turn the part 180° (flat head downwards) and to attach a 0.250mm “helper plate” to the thin ends on the top to help sticking to the print plate.

The slicer included in the webfrontend does not work very well with that part and has several issues on curved structures. I did the same part with Slic3r and other js-based tools and they turned out just as in Fusion 360. After spending two days trying to script something useful to automate svg to png conversion under Linux (utilizing slic3r, inkscape and imagemagick) I finally stumbled accross Formware 3D- which is more or less intuitive, but most of it all I get good results. I guess I will focus on this tool in the future for slicing.It has all the parameters for the Bean already when shipped. I assume the tool sold in Kudo3d is a (more expensive) rebrand of that tool.
Finally I must admit, after backing Kudo3d for so long despite all the ups and down in the Kickstarter campaign, I feel disappointed by the (missing) manual and the not very powerful slicing software included.
The printer itself is nice :slight_smile:
Cheers,

Chris