[Return to main site] 

Calibration sample for optimizing printing parameters

We uploaded a calibration sample for calibrating physical resolution:

You can get an idea about the physical resolution for rods, slots, holes, walls and trenches. Please use Netfabb Basic’s ruler to measure the sizes.

This can be used to gauge the exposure time needed. if it works, please use this as a baseline, which should be very close to the right time. If you need more hole, slot and trench resolution, please underexpose the resin. If you need more rod and wall resolution, please overexpose the resin.

Lifting height need to be adjusted as well but this depends on the geometry and exposed area of sliced images. Please start with a more conservative lifting height. You can drop the height for later prints when you are more confident about the height.

Please keep the same dimensions of the stl model. Don’t scale the model. You can measure the resolutions for different sizes of projected area.

Here are some pictures of the printed model:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w4x877hiwsvgz8y/AABVFjHZPMF4Klar0v2tr5kEa?dl=0

Thanks!
-Kudo3D Team

I tried your calibration part tonight. Gee ! I did not realise it was that small !

Honestly, i can barely see if it’s good or bad with my naked eyes, had to use my USB microscope LOL ! Pictures below and my csv file.

Sliced at 100 with CW in its original orientation, and printed at 100 microns with G+ black.

Do you guys have a bigger calibration file ? I’m printing parts for my motorbike, not for a swiss watch LOL !

Am I right to say that i might be overexposed ? Last layers at 14 sec. My text is not as sharp as yours.

Hi Jonathan

Would you please tell us what resin and resolution did you use for your calibration sample? I´m very pleased to see that it´s possible to get such degree of fine detail.
It´s the level of resolution I´d like to achieve for scale model applications.

Thank you for your support

Patricio

I think the purpose of this calibration part is to help you figure out exposure times and detail possible with your chosen resin and resolution level.

If you are looking for a fully canned set of parameters for known resin (e.g. Black G+) and known resolution, you can look at the Sample Prints on the download page or follow the recommended Exposure Time Scale document.

@ Hugues - Thanks for sharing!

For 100 microns, your print is already on the good side. Details will be not be smooth because of the limitation of the G+ resin. To use the G+, you would deed to add pigments (about 2% of the resin volume). Spot-HT, ABS, and Cast will be better.

The print is overexposed. Overexposure will make the rods thicker, and some holes will not be opened.

Optimal exposure depends on the print structure. If you’re printing tiny rods, you may need to overexpose. If you’re printing holes, you may need to underexposure.

We would probably use 10 or 12 seconds - not 14 seconds.

We actually only used the sample to calibrate 25 to 50 microns.

Please see below for another calibration sample:

It was designed by Gadgetgurus314.

Our worse resolution (100 microns XY) is about the thickness of 3 strands of hair - so we won’t be able to use too big of a calibration sample.

@ Patricio - we used 3DM cast and printed at 37 micron XY and 35 micron Z.

Please see attached for our printing parameters. Please note that this was using the PSP v2 and small build platform. Thanks!

Even though im not really getting started, i wish i had read this when i was starting out. These posts have been extremely helpful, they should probably be included in the beginning of the manual also?

Thanks for the tip. We will add this to the Thank you letter with each printer shipment.

Warm regards,
Kudo3D Team

The pictures in the dropbox link no longer work from the first post. I’d like to see them as I am trying to do a first test print. Thanks,

Kenzie

The link with the pictures seems to no longer work, but the download for the zip file with the part STL itself (the first link in the original post) seems to be there.

We just posted it on our gallery - thanks!

-Kudo3D Team

Printed with 3DM Cast at 50 micron resolution with 50 micron slice V1 PSP

Exposures:

3.0 seconds: Hole resolution good, post resolution poor
3.5 seconds: Hole resolution OK, post resolution OK
4.0 seconds: Hole resolution poor, post resolution OK

Running small models at 3.5 second exposure for now.