I finally got one print out but this second print I am most fond of. The only issue as you can see the small supports are not all grown and the wing tip has disappeared. I still am a little perplexed why there is not an idiots walk thru on the set up for the red and black resin on 100 50 and 37 micron and the projector heights etc. It would take the guess work out and wastage and most importantly the time lost. I am now on to my second PSP container as the teflon has come away. Anther user has gone thru 6 in two weeks.
i’ve never had luck printing wide objects like that perfectly lined up with the vat floor, seems like it creates a lot of suction and pulls hard on supports i think if you rotated it where it was at an angle you may have more luck, look at the thread about the iphone case someone posted in the showcase forum
Looking nice man. Bit of a shame when so much of it printed out perfectly. I have gotten that with my recent print.
I just printed the trex skull with the top jaw and bottom jaw next to each other. The surface area it takes up caused my first 4 attempts to just fall off each time. Funnily enough my 5th attempt I made a fairly large attachment layer and it worked. It started to peel on one corner which I think caused my print to slip a tad towards the end causing the lower jaw to have some layers that were misaligned.
Since you have the nut in the picture, I can tell how the print was oriented in the vat.
You may notice that the support breakage is worse on one side than the other, the side that is closer to the stationary end of the vat. The forces at play are different depending on where you are in the vat. The stationary end of the vat has more separation forces (less flex, so the separation force is distributed across a smaller time/distance). Supports need to be stronger on that end.
On the free/flexible end of the vat, the separation force is gentler (spread across a bigger distance as the vat flexes), but that also means that there is some additional angular force on the part, which I have found particularly affects parts with a solid base, although that doesn’t seem to be troubling you in this case.
I would recommend a couple of things:
- Use meshmixer to generate supports, you don't need a huge solid attachment plate like you have. You'll save resin and save vat wear this way
- Thicken the supports, which will help ensure that they remain intact across the sum of forces during the print
- Add extra supports on the side of the part by the stationary end
- Rotate the part like Tracy indicated, about 10 degrees around both the X and Y axes, that will greatly reduce the separation forces at any one layer and is standard practice for SLA machines ranging from small hobby laser systems all the way up to $30K pro machines
- Add extra supports on the part of the rotated part that is lowest, and thus will build first and experience the most total separations over the duration of the print
Been off for quite some time. I kinda gave up on the Titan for a while due to so many hiccps. So I am backl on the Titan and Still no successful prints. Fail after fail. I have ironed out the back ground exposure with a gamma change and contrast change. I have had the parts stick to the VAT a lot. Got a print going thru now that seems to have worked. The seperation force is a major issue for me as I am only using the Titan at 50 and 37 and I only have large build blapes. I will cut one done to the small size tomorrow. Lets see