[Return to main site] 

Struggling with print!

I’ve been trying to print the item with a link below (thingiverse) but every time I print a small part of it sticks to the print bed (bean printer) and the rest ends up in the resin well. My printer prints the test rook just fine but I can’t seem to get my own print to work. What is it that I’m doing wrong? I realize there are some mesh issues but I do not see how any of those mesh issues would cause the print job to fall apart.

Thanks,
Shane

I also tried this print which was listed on the gallery page:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4096/files

I used the Kudo3D slicer software from their site but it still did not work. The test Rook prints fine every time (I’ve printed it 3 times) but any print I do using either the SLAcer.js or the Kudo3d slicer never works. It just falls apart during the print. Can anyone give me any guidance on what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks,
Shane

What orientation are you printing at? The orientation and supports you place for object is not only to deal with overhangs, but also provides structural integrity during the print. As much as possible, you want the surface area to decrease as the print progresses.

For example, imagine printing a pyramid. If you print with the base of the pyramid oriented to sit flat on the build plate, and then build up to the tip, it will probably work, because each higher layer has less surface area (and thus lower separation forces) than the previous layer. But if you orient the pyramid with the tip of the pyramid attached to the build plate and then grow down to the base, the print will almost certainly fail because separation forces will increase over time and eventually the release force for a given layer against the film will exceed the strength of the bond of a previous layer.

You have some leeway because the strength of the bond between layers for a given surface area should be less than the strength of the bond between part and FEP film, however you should aim to orient a part such that the forces reduce as much as possible as the part grows. You may also need to add supports to add strength to the part if there are weak sections in the part. Imagine printing an hourglass, the narrowest part would not be able to withstand separation unless you add some supports around it that might not be necessary based on the angle of the overhang, but are absolutely necessary to add sufficient strength to the part for it to survive layer separation.

Biggest tip that has helped me before: get some fine steel wool (000 or 0000) and after spotless cleaning your build plate (scrape it with a sharp blade, e.g. those for ceramic ovens), rinse it with 99% alcohol - rub it all over it.

Please do this after EVERY print. The fine wool does not damage the print plate, it’s more like a “brushing” and helped me a ton to get the minis and other stuff to stick.