[Return to main site] 

Titan 2 vs Form 2

Hi,
can anyone explain what the advantages of the Titan 2 over the Formlabs Form 2 are? When we received the Titan 1 for work about a year ago I spent a few weeks trying to get a sense of it but never got anything sensible so I quit. We needed something simple and reliable, turn key system. Never got a decent print from it (apart from the test prints with known parameters). A couple of weeks ago I thought I’d upgrade it to the 2 as it would probably solve some of the issues with the shutter and all… Whole new slew of issues - projector is not detected by the Raspberry Pi 2 out of 3 times, still no easy way of getting from stl to print without reading 35 pages of scattered info about resins and setup, etc.
Another lab bought the Form 2, they set it up on a bench, put the resin container in, followed the software and bingo: consistent prints every time. No fuss.
The Form 2 is slightly more expensive, but is a final product - you don’t have to take it apart to print a new part, you don’t have to do the boogie to change the resolution.
Sorry for my rant, but it’s so frustrating to throw hundreds of pounds of trays and materials down the drain (not to mention the time!) to end up frustrated at a machine that should be qualified as an early prototype…
Am I wrong? I must be - lots of happy users around the forum.

I hope Kudo3D would make a friendly user software to generate support etc,

@jpt00 If you need technical supports, please contact us directly. We need to understand the problems specifically in order to help you.

The difference between Form2 and Titan2 lies in the resolution, build size and printing speed. There is a lot of flexibility for Titan2 but the trade-off is that the users has to learn and understand the technology. Titan printers are more like an equipment rather than a consumer printer. Titan printers are designed to last for a long time. Once the users understand the technology, the maintenance is easier and long run maintenance fee is much lower, as the structure of the Titan2 is much simpler. As for the software, Formlabs is probably the only company that integrates all the components under one umbrella. To let the automatic support generation make sense, their printer can not provide flexibility.

@indraa.cahyadi

We have to lock the resolution and resins once we provide a more integrated and streamlined software.
Most of our users do not want restrictions for Titan printers now. If you stick to one type of resin and one resolution, you can use Autodesk Meshmixer and optimize the settings to generate supports automatically.

So, why not provide a set of fixed settings for known working conditions while maintaining the added flexibility? Let the user choose between going black box and get good consistent results or stray away and tinker to get the best possible? This way most users will just get frustrated trying to get any result (good or bad) and eventually just throw it in the corner in frustration. We bought it precisely for the reasons stated (flexibility, resolution, speed) but got none of these due to too much flexibility. I’ve spent in total a couple of weeks’ worth of my time trying to get it to work and can’t afford more time to tinker and just wish there was a simple protocol, albeit with ‘normal’ results.

Exposure time migrates because resin and projector lamp age. Lifting height depends on the size of the model. You can set a large lifting height but it will slow down the print a lot. You can add a lot more supports to increase the successful rate but it will also increase your post processing time.

If you can fix the size of model within a certain range, using the same resin and resolution, tolerating more supports than necessary, we can suggest a protocol for you. Our users would normally send us files to review if not sure about the settings before printing. To save your time, please contact us directly.

If you can trade off printing speed, you can simply do an easier setting by slowing down the lifting speed, increasing the lifting height and adding more supports. However, the best way is to understand how to minimize the separation force.

It is quite easy to print if the cross sectional area for your model is small. This means that if you are printing small or mesh-like models, the settings are easy. Because of the easiness, Formlabs frequently print meshed objects for marketing. Meshed object looks big and complicated but the cross sectional area is small. However, printing large object may not be easy for Form2, as it lacks the flexibility to optimize the settings. You still need to understand how the SLA printers work even if using Formlabs’ printer. Please take a look at

You will face these problems no matter what SLA printer you are using.

I was a kickstarter backer for the form1. I went through three machines in less than a year. Their tech support was great and helped me out, but in the end the machine wouldn’t do what I needed and sits in the corner.
I have two titans that run all day almost every day. I fill the resin tanks, launch the print and walk away. I have only had a couple failures, and those only recently when my replacement projector bulb was crappy, but that isn’t the titan’s fault. It just works for me, every time.
So it is possible, you just need to pick a resolution and a resin and go from there. The files in the support section give you a pretty good idea of where to start for a given resin/resolution. Set your printer to those settings for your res and resin and see what happens. If its still weird, then folks here can help out. Once it is printing reliably at a known set of settings you have a baseline to work from for other resins or resolutions. Then the flexibility works for you instead of against.
Oh, and I know Kudo probably will hate me saying this, but if you are using makerjuice, don’t. I think its junk and the cause of half of folks problems on here. Been more than a couple folks I have conversed with and as soon as they switched to something else their issues went away.

Yes, I see your point. Nevertheless you talk about the issues in the Form1, whereas I am comparing to the Form2, which seems to be a lot more polished than the 1. I do see how flexibility can be a good thing. But the tradeoff of too much flexibility is usability. When I started using the Titan 1 about a year ago all the info was scattered all over the place, so I got nowhere, very frustrated, and quit. The upgrade to the 2 was a catalyst to try again. The info is a little better, but still has lots of issues and still not straightforward.
I understand that a universal set of settings will not work for all the models you throw at it. But the way things are at the moment present a very steep learning curve that relies on too many destroyed vats and resin, and way too many hours of frustration. And the models I’ve been trying to print are fairly simple…

I had this kind of problem on the first two weeks, I was using the wrong kind of resin for my models, since I switched to 3dm-ABS things are running smoothly and I gained a lot of experience while trying to print with the wrong resin. but its true that I was desesperate by the end of the second week but I really like the flexibility of this printer and how I can repair it myself so its great for me. a all in one software solution for support and export would be nice but now that I’m use to it its not so bad. email their support if you need help they helped me a lot !