[Return to main site] 

Whale of a tale! First model printed on the Titan 1


#1

My first model I’ve printed on the Titan 1, aside from the calibration test model that was recommended to me to try out first. Doing the calibration model really helped me understand the differences of how the resin and exposure times work.

So, on to my prints. I did a smaller test print of the whale before I did the larger version. All supports where made by hand in a 3D modeling program called Silo3D. I’ve discovered on larger prints, I really should have connected the supports more, as the model shifted considerably, especially on the long fins on the larger print. All in all though, I am really impressed by this printer! I have and FDM printer that is pretty nice, but the quality is way higher with the Titan 1.

Settings info:

Spot HT Resin
Whale mini: 4 inches Tall
Whale large: 8 Inches Tall
95 micron xy, 50 micron z
Print time Whale Mini: 22 hours
Print time Whale large: 45 hours

Exposure settings generally where around 29 seconds for most of the print. More for the lower support layers. Lift speed was set to 15 for the first 200 layers or so, but I increased it to 50 for the rest of the model. Kudo3D support said to not do that, as it will lower the vat life so I’ll keep to 15 for lift speed from now on.

Initial observations are that the Spot HT resin pics up detail well. But it’s also hard to remove the supports without causing pot marks. Filled most of them with Milliput, but I’d like to see if I can do better on support removal on my next prints. Also found that the anti-aliasing setting is needed, as the layer lines really stand out at the 100xy micron range IMO. I did the Whale mini with no antialiasing, and you can see some stepping throughout the whole model. But the larger one there’s only a few parts that showed it, but they were easily sanded away.

Looking forward to doing more with this printer. It’s light years easier to set up than FDM printers, and the way it handles overhangs is so much nicer. Should have looked into one of these much sooner!


#2


#3


#4

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, the images you linked to don’t seem to work properly when the Referrer isn’t set to the Google Plus/Photos page that the image is embedded in.

You can post these types of images by copy-pasting them in your browser by right-clicking on the source image and selecting “Copy Image” (not “Copy Image Address”). Then you can Control-v the image into the post editor.


#5

They worked on my machine, but I went ahead and copied them into the posts anyway. Hopefully it works now. Let me know if it is still not displaying properly. And thanks for all the vids and posts you’ve made about the Titan 1. They helped a ton with getting things going!


#6

Did a base primer pass and a dark wash to really accentuate the details. Layer lines are really hard to tell if at all.

Anyone have any luck with the spark lattice software helping to eliminate some of the bigger lines that seem to appear randomly throughout the model? From what I heard the internal lattice should help with that. I’m going to do a test with it when I get a chance, but curious to know if anyone has any experience with it either way.


#7

I’m not sure that the internal lattice will make much of a change to any layer lines that may appear, but am interested to see if you find any positive results from that. I have seen that shelling can make a big difference, and then depending on the cause, sometimes increasing the inter-layer delay time also helps.


#8

Interesting. The Kudo software doesn’t seem to have an option for adding a delay between layers from what I can tell. I did have my lift speed at 50, so I’ll change that to 15 as suggested by Kudo support. I’ll post up results when I get a print done.


#9

This is awesome! :grinning: Can’t wait to see more prints from you!


#10

Thanks!

@jkao

I’m convinced now the layer lines are due to there not being enough stable supports. I’m generating the supports by hand, so sort of guessing as to how effective they’ll be. I’ve not found a perfect solution yet, but definitely getting better results now.

The interior fill lattice didn’t do anything that I could see as far as fixing the layer lines. But I’ll be doing more tests now that I got a new vat and resin in.